Thursday, December 20, 2007

my hospital stay

so after surgery i woke up in the recovery room all groggy and it was like nothing had happened! i don't remember waking up at all at any time before that. i am a pretty good sleeper and i think that the anesethia agreed with me! for the next couple of hours i was awoken by a nurse wiping me down and asking me to breath deeply through my nose. every once and a while doctors would come around and try to talk to me and get to wake up. i just remember trying to open my eyes and look around but i couldn't! i was so tired! this lasted about 5 hours until they decided to send me to my room. i don't really remember the transport..i do remember wheeling by my rommate. i vaguely remember seeing my mom, dad, sister, aunt shell, friends lori and bethany. but that's about it. i know my uncle don came in a little later because they announced when he got there. however, i couldn't stay awake. apparently my family told me i was hilarious. snoring and yelling out comments with profanity! the nurse made me get up and walk around and let's just say that getting up of the bed was a struggle! also the wires and tubes coming out were lovely! the nurse was very nice and very attentive. i don't remember much after that. i hit the PCA pump a few times, but i found out the next morning that it wasn't the best thing for me! i woke up a few times during the night but otherwise felt okay.

dr. pratt's fellow stopped by in the morning and told me that i should stop using the pump because i couldn't stay awake and my pupils were pin points. so i stopped using the pain pump and waited it out. they came and got me for my leak test. it was a little crazy. i had to drink a clear bitter liquid followed by 6 ounces of mylanta tasting stuff. and take pictures in between. wait a little bit and then more pictures. the radiologist team was a little crazy and unorganized which gave me a little anxiety.

i went upstairs after that and showered a little and then my mom got there. we waited a while for the leak test to come back and then i was able to start on percocet. much better! my nurse wednesday during the day was martha. she was awesome! couldn't ask for better! she was back thursday day as well. basically the rest of the hospital stay was uneventful with some visitors and walking and lots of sweating! my dad ended up bringing me in a fan because i was sweating so much!

No comments: