Saturday, December 15, 2007

surgery day!


so here i was, rolling down the halls on a gurney. no jewelry (all my piercings out), OR room hat on, looking so lovely with the extra large hopsital issue johnnie on, and gripping the sides for dear life...the transport team was obviously busy and needed to get me there fast! my day started uneventful with a 415am wake up call. mom and i left here by 445am. we got to MGH at about 540am and headed to check in. we met up with bethany cove on the way to the OR check in suite. they were really organized and my name was called in about 20 minutes. they took me back into this room looking very hospital-like, and assigned me to bed #24. the last bed. there were rows and rows of beds with each having thier own curtain. i was instructed to strip and put on the johnnie. robe and socks were in the bag. you know me, always hot, right? no way i was putting on the socks and robe. well i dressed and sat on the bed and relaxed. people were running around like crazy. so many people everywhere. i filled out some paperwork, took a blood pressure pill (apparently it was a little high! can't imagine why!), and then they sent back bethany and my mom. we chatted for a while, they had to work on taking out my rook ear piercing which i thought i could leave in. my nurse informed me it had to go! it was a struggle! the transport team arrived and asked if i had to go to the bathroom. of course i did. 14 people stopped and asked if i wanted socks or a bathrobe. apparently they are very concerned about your level of comfort at mass general! after i came back, it was bye for now to mom and bethany. as the transport woman pushed my gurney with a speed ideal for a NASCAR race, i started getting butterflies. every door we past through it seemed to get more and more dugeonlike. the hallways were smaller and the ceiling was lower. i started whizzing by OR after OR. now the people down here were all vertical and wearing traditional OR gear. i was soon parked in front of OR #42. MGH's last OR. it looked the oldest. a lot of the OR's there have a room next to them for inductions or holdings. not mine! i was able to be parked right outside the doors and wait for almost an hour while 84 people came and went setting up the OR just for me! i got an IV, met the anesthesiologist who looked 23 years old. thanks god his attendee was right behind him. i met the nurses and the scrub tech. i met dr. pratt's fellow and then dr. pratt arrived. they wheeled me into the OR and had me scoot onto the table. i had to allign myself just so on the table! i was told a few basic things, and they they put an oxygen mask on me to oxygenate me. they told me i would feel fuzzy vision and then that was it. i started feeling fuzzy and that's all that i remember!

1 comment:

Martha said...

Hey Rachael,

I am so-o-o- proud of you! When I read this blog I cried! Thanks for sharing ... You are AWESOME!

Miss you all badly!!!

Love, Aunt Martha